Pssst! I have a weight loss secret that’s practically guaranteed: learn portion sizes. By learning what a portion size is and then sticking to it, you will automatically eat fewer calories. Measure your food with the measuring cups & spoons you already have in your kitchen, and invest in an inexpensive food scale to weigh your protein. Here are serving sizes for some typical foods:
- 1 cup milk or yogurt
- three ounces cooked is the size of a deck of cards
- 1/2 cup cooked beans
- 1 slice of bread
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup cooked rice or pasta
- 3/4 – 1 cup cold cereal
- 1/2 cup cooked or raw vegetables
- 1 cup raw leafy greens
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
- 1 medium apple, peach, pear, etc.
Checking in: How did you do with Keeping a Food Diary?
Once you learn portion sizes, you’ll want to keep track of what you eat in your food diary. It will keep you accountable and show you where you need to make changes.
Healthful Tips: Lunch Ideas You’ll Love
When you think of healthy lunches, I’ll bet either a large salad or turkey sandwich comes to mind first. These are great choices, but sometimes you want something a little different just to jazz things up. Try one of these yummy lunch ideas:
- Make a burrito of mashed sweet potatoes, black beans and sauteed onions in a high fiber wrap. Top with fresh salsa.
- Enjoy a large bowl of vegetable soup with a side of toasted whole grain bread spread with goat cheese.
- Indulge your pizza craving with a whole wheat pizza crust topped with your favorite veggies and low-fat cheese.
- Burger & fries? Sure! Just make it a low-fat turkey burger with lettuce & tomato and a side of baked potato wedges.
- If you’re in a diner mood, how about an egg white omelette filled with spinach, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms or any of your favorite veggies.